The Thokozani Khupe-led MDC-T has absolved secretary-general Douglas Mwonzora from allegations of stealing ZWL$300 000 from party coffers.
In a statement on Wednesday, acting national spokesperson Tapiwa Mashakada said the party’s Finance and Administration Committee and the National Standing Committee probed the matter and concluded that the allegations were false. Said Mashakada:
- ZIMSEC pays invigilators with plates of sadza
- Oppah Muchinguri told to resign over covid-19 comments
- Jonathan Moyo faces rape accusations
- Nust students protest over 500% dissertation fees hike
- Robert Mugabe’s son Chatunga in nasty social media fallout with ex-lover
The so-called looted funds were in fact disbursed as part payment to our legal defence team whom we owe lots of money. Our excellent legal team has won all the 20 lawsuits so far mounted against the MDC-T by our detractors.
Mashakada said the person who reported the matter to the Highlands Police, Jealous Chisvo has no right to act on behalf of the MDC-T.
Mwonzora, acting party president Thokozani Khupe, chairperson Morgen Komichi and former organising secretary Elias Mudzuri are set to tussle for the presidency at the party’s extraordinary congress scheduled for 19 December 2020.